Chinese business visas: short term vs. long term and what documents you need

Over the past decade, China has become a major center for global trade and commerce. center for global trade and commerce, with many companies now looking to the country for trade and investment opportunities.With many companies now looking to the country for trade and investment opportunities, China has become a major center for global trade and commerce. As the Chinese economy continues to expand, so does the number of foreign nationals heading to China in search of employment and to engage in business or short-term study.


Although it welcomes foreign visitors, China requires that you have some form of visa or work permit if you plan to spend any time in the country. Several Chinese visas are suitable for both short-term and long-term study and work purposes. Whether you are looking to explore new job opportunities, take a short business trip or begin studies at one of the many renowned universities, these visas can give you access to all that China has to offer.


We will look at the differences between short-term and long-term business and study visas, as well as what documentation is typically required for Chinese visas.



Short-term business visas vs. long-term work permits: What is the difference?

Sending employees abroad is inevitable for companies or individuals looking to expand their reach and connections globally. Whether it's to attend conferences, foster new skills with training programs or even work on international projects. Employers have several options available with respect to business visas and work permits that grant legal access to foreign countries, although they generally serve different purposes.


Those who only plan to stay briefly generally rely on short-term business or study visas, which are often easier to apply for than long-term visas and permits. A short-term work visa generally does not require as much documentation and will usually be specific to the parameters of the work the applicant will be performing while abroad. This can save quite a bit of hassle and time compared to obtaining a longer-term visa and work permit, which require more documentation and a more complicated application process.

China's short- and long-term work and study operate under a letter system and include:


  • Z visaA multiple entry visa allows individuals to work in China for more than six months.

  • M visaThis visa grants short-term business or study travel and may include commercial activities and competitions.

  • J1 or J2 visaThis visa is mainly for foreign journalists and grants license for the specific period they need to work.

  • F VisaThis short-term student visa covers conferences, exchanges and study tours with a maximum stay of thirty days.

  • Student X1/ X2: A student visa covering stays of less than and more than 180 days.


It is important to choose the right visa option depending on the work to be done. If in doubt, it is best to consult a Chinese immigration professional to effectively go through the visa application process and select the best option for your situation.



What documents are normally required for a Chinese work or study visa?

When applying for a visa Chinese visa, you will need some basic documents, such as a valid passport and a completed visa application form. However, you may also need to provide additional documentation obtained from various agencies that will need to be authenticated and certified. This process can take some time and must be handled correctly, as errors can delay the application process or even result in visa rejection.


When applying for a Chinese work visa, there are several important supporting documents that you will likely need to provide.

  • A background check report from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation or other similar federal agency in your home country to fulfill your police record requirements..

  • A medical test certificate, usually acquired from an authorized health center that covers all China-specific permit regulations.

  • Educational documentation, including your diploma, school or university transcripts, possible letters of recommendation or support from former teachers, etc.

  • Documentation of family information, such as marriage and birth certificates, if applicable to your family, which may need to be obtained officially from the local government offices where you were married, where your children were born, etc.

  • Financial recordsif necessary, about your personal finances, business finances or other information potentially required by the Chinese government to ensure that you will have the means to support yourself, will not be at risk of overstaying your visa, etc.


One of the most important aspects of acquiring and preparing this underlying evidence and documentation is to ensure that the documents are officially translated, certified and, in some cases, legalized or apostilled. apostilled.


Making sure this aspect is not overlooked is key to the success of Chinese business and study permits and visas, and rather than figuring out document translation and legalization on your own, working with an expert who understands the Chinese work visa application process and obtaining, legalizing and translating the underlying documents is a must.


That's where Lex Documents comes in.



Lex Documents can assist with documentation for Chinese visas and work permits.


At LEX Documentswe are experts in obtaining and legalizing all the necessary documents for work and study visa applications from China.


Our customized services offer a single point of contact to quickly and efficiently strategize on what documents you need and obtain, translate, legalize and certify your documentation and ensure it is ready for shipment.


We can help make complicated Chinese bureaucratic systems easier with our globally connected service: we know which agencies to call in your home country to make sure you have the right documents and we will send them to the counterpart in China for review and receive your invitation.


Contact us at today for more information on how we can help you with your Chinese visa applications and international document requirements.

You might also be interested in

ETIAS Europe's Pre-travel Authorization System is Postponed to 2025. Here's What to Keep in Mind

The European Union has postponed the launch of the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) to Spring 2025 and...

November 28, 23 Continue reading  

Cómo las universidades pueden apoyar mejor a sus estudiantes internacionales con su documentación

Las universidades se han vuelto cada vez más diversas en términos de su población estudiantil, dando la bienvenida a un...

March 23, 23 Continue reading  

Is ChatGPT Valuable for Business Travel and Business Immigration? What Can and Can't it Do?

Chat GPT has undoubtedly been causing a buzz with most industries looking at how it will affect business operations and...

August 25, 23 Continue reading  

You might also be interested in

International mobility with Security

Millions of people from all over the world want to visit the European Union (and especially, Spain) and many of...

23 August, 19 Continue reading  

Moving to the EU

Introduction to relocating to the EU Relocating from your home country to the European Union is an experience that...

May 17, 19 Continue reading  

How Universities Can Best Support Their International Students With Documentation

Universities have become increasingly diverse in terms of their student populations, welcoming growing numbers of international students - in 2020,...

March 23, 23 Continue reading